Vellanoweth and St. Ives, Cornwall



Remembering that my archaeology professor is part Cornish, I asked around to see if anyone had heard of the name Vellanoweth.  Turns out, the 'village' of Vellanoweth was only a few miles from where I was staying, so I took the bus up there one afternoon and checked it out.  On the way I noticed The Mexico Inn, which opened about 150 years ago when some Cornish miners returned after working in Mexico.   I found that people in Cornwall are pretty aware that they have a historical relationship with Mexico.  Since my professor is Mexican, it was cool to see the connection.




I stopped at The Old Inn when I went looking for Vellanoweth, and met some fabulous folks.  One of them offered to drive me up to Tintagel the next day, so I went on a bit of a Cornish road trip.  The proprieters of The Old Inn informed me that pubs and free houses are closing down at an alarming rate in the UK - 10 to 20 per week.  They cannot compete with the cheap alcohol at grocery stores...it's sad because it's such a good way to get to know people.  SO, when in the UK or Ireland, help save a long standing tradition and GO TO THE PUBS.  That's where the good people are.

The view from Vellanoweth





Another pub - the Sloop Inn, in St. Ives, which is apparently quite famous because its been in continuous operation for over 700 years.  That's right, 700 YEARS! 



A small, narrow harbor that was used as a hideout for pirates, somewhere on the Cornish north coast.

St. Ives.  Very picturesque, artsy town.  Everyone loves St. Ives, at least that's what I hear.


1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your blog on the village. I just visited there to reconnect with family locations and through the archives to see when my family sold the property in the village. I will be returning in Oct 2024 as I promised some of the locals to bring more of the family back for a small celebration. It seems most were unaware that someone still carried the Vellanoweth sir name.

    ReplyDelete