Boudicca, Greenwich, and the Tower


I don't have time to say much - I have to catch the train.  If I don't leave London soon I'll end up staying here forever.  I booked a ticket to Penzance for tonight, which is a 5 hour trip from here, in Cornwall, on the far southwestern peninsula.  I did manage to put up some photos, and I'll add more later.  Yesterday I took the river boat up the Thames and had a lovely day wandering around Greenwich and the Tower of London.  Like I said, I need to get out of here and see the countryside or London will suck me in!  Until then...!

Boudicca, the Iceni Queen who fought the Romans ca 60 AD



Greenwich in the foreground, and London's financial center in the background.  This was taken from the Prime Meridian at the Greenwich Observatory







I'm standing in two hemispheres!  Its so weird, this little place on top of a hill is where some dudes decided would be the center of the world... but it made sense for naviagtion purposes at the time.  It was a logical point because it was used as an observatory, and the only people who really needed longitudal information were English explorers and map makers.  I liked Greenwich.



I'm laying down on the Prime Meridian line pointing to Los Angeles



This is in the Tower of London; it's a recreation of what Edward the I's bedroom may have looked like in the 1200s.



The Tower moat, now all green grass.



The Tower of London in the back.  It is a really stunning place, but England has certainly tourist-ified the crap out of it.  It took a lot away from its essence.  Although I must say, the carvings on the walls where prisoners were kept in the 1500s because of the whole Catholic/Protestant issue were amazing to see.  I saw an E with a heart around it honoring Princess Elizabeth (this guy was put in the Tower by her half-sister Mary), Biblical references from Elizabeth's tutor, one man accused of witchraft drew a globe with ellipses all around it to signify the zodiac...Very cool stuff.


Karin, Malene, and Caroline - three sweet Swedes that I bunked with last night






The Tower Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment